This Hellcat was delivered to the US Navy in early 1945 with the BuNo 79779. It was subsequently transferred to the UK and kept and maintained at RNAS Lossiemouth for many years before arriving at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in 1970. It is now on display in Hall 2.
This aircraft was built in Akron, OH and allocated the BuNo 14862. After serving with the Royal Navy it arrived at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in 1963 and is now on display in Hall 2. In 2000 work was carried out to remove all exterior layers of paint and so this scheme is the original factory markings.
The second Concorde prototype is on display in Hall 4 at the super Fleet Air Arm Museum. Of course the Concorde will grab most of the attention from casual visitors passing through but it is by no means the only interesting aircraft on display in the Hall.
This aircraft was delivered to the RN in 1951 and (presumably) saw action in Korea with 802 Sqdn aboard HMS Ocean and whilst stationed in Japan. She was SOC in 1965 and transferred to the Fleet Air Arm Museum and is now on display in Hall 2.
Originally built as a Fairey Delta 2 to investigate flight and control at transonic and supersonic speeds. In 1956 WG774 broke the World Air Speed Record (1,132 mph) and so became the first aircraft to exceed 1,000 mph in level flight. However, to take full advantage of the aerodynamic properties of the wing the FD2 was modified into the BAC221 by featuring a longer highly swept wing, engine inlet configuration, a RR Avon RA engine, modified tail and undercarriage. She paved the way for and is parked alongside Concorde, real aviation history at the FAA Museum.
This beautifully restored Martlet is now on display in Hall 2 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum. This is the only surviving F4F-4 and was originally intended for French AF service but transferred to the RAF after the fall of France in 1940. She spent most of WWII stationed in Scotland and then as an instructional airframe before arriving at the museum in the late 1950s.
This Sea hawk was built as a FGA4 and delivered to the RN in 1954. FGA6 conversion entailed fitting a Nene 103 engine in '57 and served until 1967 when she was retired to the Fleet Air Arm Museum and is now on display in Hall3, the Aircraft Carrier Experience.
The Dragonfly was a licence-built version of the American Sikorsky S-51 and used by the RN in the SAR and comms. role until replaced by the Westland Whirlwind. This particular example served with the RN from 1953 until 1966 when it was retired to the Fleet Air Arm Museum where it is now on display in Hall 2.
This Avenger was built as a TBM-3E and TOC by the US Navy as 69502 in 1945. In 1953 she was transported to Scotland and converted to AS5 standard by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick and then two years later to ECM6 standard at RNAS Gosport. Finally grounded by the Navy in 1963 she is now on display in Hall 2 of the Fleet Air Arm Museum.