Built as PQ-14A target drone for USAAF with serial 45-58816. Transferred to US Navy and designated Culver TD2C-1 with BuAer No. 120035. The type could be flown manned or un-manned, as each mission required.
Twin-seat amphibian fitted with secondary landing wheel in lower fuselage and powered by pusher engine between its wings. Built by Herman Ecker of Syracuse NY in 1912 and flown by him until its retirement in 1915.
Holder of the World Endurance Record of 653 hours non-stop refuelled flight set between June 4 and July 1 1935 by the Key Brothers circling above their home airport of Meridian, Mississippi. Flown to Washington by the brothers in 1955 and presented to the NASM for display.
The CCW-1 was the single-seat development precursor of the larger CCW-5 Channel Wing aircraft. It first flew in November 1942 and is fitted with a T-tail. It is stored in the NASM Silver Hill MD facility.