First flown in 1929, the Fizir FN was a successful Yugoslav training aircraft of which about 200 examples were built. During WWII production at the Zmaj factory in Axis-controlled Zemun, near Belgrade, continued for the Croatian air force. Some ten undelivered aircraft, including this one, were captured by Tito's forces in 1944. 9009 was used by the Yugoslav air force until 1947 and then by the national aero club as YU-CAY until around 1960. Prewar Yugoslav markings are carried.
Yugoslavia obtained 24 Hurricane Is from Hawker by 1940 and had commenced licence production with a similar number competed by the time it was overrun by Axis powers in April 1941. Interestingly one of these was modified by Ikarus at Zemun with a Diamler Benz DB601A engine replacing the RR Merlin, apparently improving performance. The exhibited Mk.IV, built in 1943, flew in the liberation of Yugoslavia with 351 (Y) Sqn RAF, and later became 9539 with the YAF, which operated Hurricanes till 1952
Painted as JK808, but is believed to be ex MH592. This was built in 1943 at Castle Bromwich with factory no. 17-545, flying with 352 (Yugoslav) Sqn RAF in the late part of WWII. Transferred to the newly-formed Yugoslav AF in 1945; serialled 9486 in 1949. Spitfires fitted with cameras remained in Yugoslav use for recon work till 1952. Restored during 1973 by JAT Tehnika as JK808 which museum staff assert is the aircraft's true identity, formerly 9489, but extensive research by specialists suggests it really is MH592
Three Beavers were obtained for the JRV (Yugoslav AF) in 1954 and operated with 122 Hidroeskadrila Za Vezy, from Divulje seaplane base at Split (now in Croatia). Re-serialled from 0672 to 70101 in 1968, wfu 1974. Displayed with its floats alongside
Seen in front of the iconic Muzej Vazduhoplovstva building opened in 1989, one of four French-built Ju-52s obtained by Yugoslavia after WWII (ex F-BBYB), adding to three German examples captured during the war (the first of these landed at Belgrade by mistake instead of Tirana). Between 1947-1952 they were sometimes used by JAT in 16 passenger configuration. Preserved since 1965
In June 1958 Yugoslavia purchased two examples of the private-venture Gnat for evaluation, both being delivered by rail. They were flown by the flight test centre but one was written off in a belly landing after a hydraulics failure in October 1958. Although at one stage there was interest in licence production of up to 700 single and two-seater Gnats, no further aircraft were ordered and second-hand F-86 Sabres were acquired instead
When Yugoslavia under Tito fell out with the USSR in 1948, Soviet military supplies were denied so the need for an interim fighter-bomber of indigenous design came about. The result was the Ikarus S-49, based on Yugoslavia's pre-war IK-3, but developed by 1952 into an all-metal machine powered by a Hispano-Suiza engine from France. Although fairly soon superseded by modern US jets, 112 S-49Cs were built by Ikarus and Soko by 1954 and served till 1961. This is the only surviving example in the world
Serving the JRV from 1954 to 1976, like the F-84G alongside, this T-Bird was converted in Yugoslavia for recon and took up the local designation IT-33A. The camera bay is clearly visible in front of the code on the nose