Became VH-UGJ in 1929. The Australian Aero Club (NSW) became the Aero Club of NSW and then the Royal Aero Club of NSW. VH-UGJ remained with the club until it was written off in a landing accident on October 8, 1940 by which time it had been fitted with a Gipsy engine in place of the Cirrus. Photo from: National Library of Australia
62-6000 brought Lyndon Johnson to Australia on the first visit to the country of a serving US president. The Pan Am 707 in the background and a TWA 707 carried support personnel and American media. Photo by Kevin Kerle.
Photo believed to date from about 1929 when G-AUAE was reregistered VH-UAE. At the time it was operated by the Australian Aero Club. The timber building at the right is the original aero club and was replaced by a more substantial building on a different site in 1930. The old club building was then removed and the area became apron. The hangar is Government Hangar No.1, which stood out as it had the airport name, Mascot, painted in the roof. VH-UAE remains registered in 2019. Photo from: Hood Collection/State Library of New South Wales
The prototype Avro Baby. Was G-EACQ for pioneer aviator Bert Hinkler who attempted to fly it to Australia, only to be thwarted when he was refused permission to overfly Iraq. Returned to the UK where it competed in the 1920 Hendon Aerial Derby before being shipped to Australia. Initially registered to local Avro agent Australian Aircraft and Engineering. -UCQ's certificate of registration expired in October 1931 by which time it was VH-UCQ. Stored until 1970 when it was donated to the Queensland Museum. Now on display as G-EACQ. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
VH-EWM was imported to undertake rain-making experiments for the CSIRO. At the end of that contract is was leased to both TAA and MMA for passenger work. A planned lease to the NSW ambulance service in 1969 to cover Queen Air maintenance did not eventuate Sold in Canada as CF-CIJ in November 1972.
VH-EAA arrives at Sydney at the end of its delivery flight. Converted to an L-749A in 1952 and sold to BOAC in February 1955. QEA had been lined up to take Avro Tudor IIs alongside BOAC and South African Airways. The Avro's poor hot and high performance saw QEA (with relief) switch to the superior Constellation. Photo from: Hudson Fysh Collection/State Library of New South Wales
Delivered in 1935, A1-11 went on to serve with the RAAF until 1944 when it became an instructional airframe. The following year it was scrapped. Its war service was with a flying school or as a station hack. Photo from: National Library of Australia
VH-UNO crashed near Manly, a Sydney seaside suburb, on July 5, 1930 soon after departing Sydney (Mascot) Airport . Passenger Arthur Lumb was killed and pilot Goya Henry severely injured. The accident happened in bad weather. Photo from: Hood Collection/State Library of New South Wales
VH-UVQ on the Cooks River mudflats next to the airport. A few days later it was flown to Brisbane where it operated for a short while from the Brisbane River. By the end of 1939 it was stored, vandalised and caught up in the liquidation of Aerial Transport and Training. -UVQ never flew again and was cancelled from the register in 1946. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Shot at Sydney during my lunch hour in the days when one could wander around with a camera on the ramp, this was during the Australian Pilots strike of December 1989. The aircraft wore C.C. Air titles under the window line and is seen in company with An Ansett B737 and sister ship VH-EWV wearing Spirit Air titles.