The Sikorsky developed X2 high speed co-axial helicopter first flew on August 27, 2008. Before it's retirement in 2011, it had raised the helicopter speed record to 260 knots. The design won the Robert J Collier Trophy by the National Aeronautic Association in 2010 and test data became the basis for the new Sikorsky S-97 Raider, now under development. The aircraft was donated to the Smithsonian in 2016.
Based in the USA during World War II, this Corsair was placed in storage in 1946 at several US Navy bases. Transferred to the Smithsonian in 1960 it remained at their Paul E Garber storage facility and was restored in the markings of F4U-1A "Sun Setter". In 1993 it was loaned to the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton, VA until space became available at the Nation Air & Space Museum's new Udvar-Hazy Center in 2003.
This is the sole surviving true JRS-1 amphibian and is the only aircraft in the Smithsonian collection that was stationed at Pearl Harbor on 7th Dec. 1941, being one of ten JRS-1s at the base when the Japanese attacked. All survived and were immediately pressed into service and flew many missions patrolling for Japanese submarines and searching for the enemy fleet. It was acquired by the Smithsonian in 1960 and still bears the blue paint scheme hastily applied after the Pearl Harbor attack.
This Prowler participated in the decommissioning of VMAQ-2 on 8 March, 2019, following which, on the 14th of the same month, it was flown from MCAS Cherry Point to Washington Dulles for display in the Udvar-Hazy Center.