Close-up of a naval Fokker D.VII which landed on Dutch soil, showing 'Fok D.7 (Alb) 5288' written on the rudder. D.5288/18 is a plausible D.VII (Albatros) serial. The serial D.5584/18 and pilot Karl Engelfried have also been associated with photos of this aircraft. Photo from: Foto Dert / Gemeentearchief Vlissingen
Piloted by Uffz Alfred Baum, this Fokker D.VII of the German navy landed on Dutch territory with engine trouble on 15 October 1918. Photo 204364 shows that 'Fokker D.7 (Alb) 5288' is scribbled on the rudder. The serial D.5584/18 and pilot Karl Engelfried have also been associated with photos of this aircraft. Photo from: Foto Dert / Gemeentearchief Vlissingen
This replica of the forrmidable Fokker D.VII from the first World War was built by Mikael Carlson using an original 200hp 6 cylinder Daimler Mercedes D.IIIaü engine and only original parts. It first flew on 10 April 2011 and is based at Mikael's private airstrip at Kvarnhem, Sebbarp in Löberöd, Sweden. Mikael also flew his original 1918 Blériot XI at the Hahnweide show.
First appearing entering combat in May 1918, the Fokker D. VII quickly showed its superior performance over Allied fighters. With its high rate of climb, higher ceiling and excellent handling characteristics, German pilots scored a remarkable 565 victories over Allied aircraft during the month of August alone. The reproduction aircraft on display at the National Museum of the USAF is painted to represent the Fokker D. VII of Lt. Rudolph Stark, a squadron leader of Jasta 35b in Oct. 1918.
The Fokker D.VII was the outstanding fighter aircraft of WWI, unique in tat it had a metal tube fuselage rather than the all wood prevelant at the time. This example is probably ex OO-AMY, later OO-UPP abandoned at Ostend in 1918. It was brought to the UK in 1938 as part of the Nash Collection. Purchased by the Ministry of Defence in 1992 and allocated RAF maintenance serial 8207M, it was donated to the Museum in 2004. A magnificent exhibit, one of six remaining aircraft of the type