As 1Z-BY, this Ju 52 landed on frozen Hartvig Lake in Norway during the German invasion of April 1940 and was lost when the ice melted. Salvaged in 1986. Preserved without markings in the VEB Flugzeugbau Dresden factory building on the original Junkers site.
Both Germanies claimed the Lufthansa name and crane until 1963, when the GDR airline was renamed Interflug. This Il-14 was built by VEB Flugzeugwerke Dresden in 1957. She was written off after a hard landing in Leipzig - Mockau (not in Moscow) on 17 November 1967.
It was delightful to have the opportunity to shoot this superbly preserved VEB-built IL-14 in such nice conditions, well worth the 130km drive from Berlin. Once displayed in Interflug colours at the Halle ice stadium after being written off in a hard landing, it became derelict and was on the verge of being scrapped before being rescued by the Technik-Museum Hugo Junkers and restored in the colours of East Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa, the forerunner of Interflug