Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Oklahoma City in Oklahoma and rolled off the production line on 28/3/1944. Aircraft was designated as a C-47A-20-DK. Seen here on the tarmac with VH-BPN.
VH-BPL had a long history in Australia, starting with the Royal Australian Air Force during World War II. It went to Qantas after the war and used on services in Papua New Guinea, then an Australian territory. It passed to Trans- Australia Airlines when it replaced Qantas in the territory and then to Air Niugini on independence. It entered the Australian register again in 1982, as VH-BPL. It is now with the Qantas Founders Museum, at Longreach, Queensland, restored as a static exhibit in its original Qantas markings (VH-EAP).