This former RAF Chippie was de-mobbed in January 1951 and according to some sources went to the Sri Lankan Air Force. In any case it went to Ireland as EI-AJB before coming to Australia where it became VH-WMT, later VH-WMG. It was re-registered VH-RSM in 1987 and is currently based at Cessnock, NSW.
This ex-RNZAF aircraft was purchased from New Zealand in 2001 after a 17-year restoration that hadn't been quite completed. It first flew in Australia in December 2002 and remained in primer/fake Zero markings until recently when it was re-done in these stunning and authentic US Navy markings.
This visitor to the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in came all the way from Mackay, Queensland. It was first registered in Australia on 21 June 1951 and from the '70s to '80s served as a glider tug at Narrogin, WA. At that time painted red and yellow.
This immaculate Tiger was originally built by DHA at Mascot with cn 189 and went to the RAAF as A17-188. Somewhere along the line it gained re-build cn T245. Post-war it came on to the civil Register as VH-AXH before being re-registered at DCA insistence as VH-BXH. It later became VH-RVH(2) with the Royal Vic Aero Club, sporting a canopy. Later still it became VH-SEC and is today based at Noarlunga, SA.
This is a rare pre-war aircraft, having been imported to Australia in 1938 after previously being on the US Civil register as NC20637. It was impressed into the RAAF as A36-2 but withdrawn from service in 1942 following a forced landing. Returned to the civil Register in the early post-war years, it has led a long life since. Seen here at the AAAA National Fly-in.
This well-maintained Skylark was imported new into Australia in 1962 and first registered on 10 April. You can clearly see the distinctive hump on the cowling of the GO-300 and the constant-speed prop of the 'C' model Skylark. This aircraft also has the Horton Stol-Craft STOL kit incorporated, which includes leading edge cuffs, conical camber wingtips and aileron seals. The optional flap gap seals aren't fitted.
Silver dope shining in the late afternoon sun at the AAAA National Fly-in! This aircraft was built to an RAF order and became HG656. It was sent to New Zealand and became NZ527 with the RNZAF. After the war it was civilianised and became ZK-ALB and served with Mt Cook Airlines before being exported to Australia in 1971 to become VH-IAN, later VH-UTV.
This 1959-built aircraft began life as a Colt nose-dragger and was imported into Australia in 1964. At some later stage it has been subject to the modern fashion of conversion to Pacer, or taildragger, configuration.