XA434 was operated by the Australian navy from 1956 to 1967. It was earmarked for preservation and remains on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. In 1969 it had been spruced up for the air show and had lost the numerical part of its code. M was its ship code: HMAS Melbourne.
Newly assembled Gannet AS.1 being weighed in Fairey Aviation's hangar at Ringway shortly before its first flight on 7 September 1954. This was the first of 102 Gannets to be built at their Stockport factory and assembled and test flown from Ringway.