Built for the USAF as C-54D 42-72560 and flew on the Berlin Air Lift as such. In post-1945 USN service it was assigned to the 1958 'Operation Deep Freeze' in Antarctica which may have been when it acquired the belly mounted device. Retired to MASDC in 1966 then registered as N67041 in 1975 and converted to aerial firefighting tanker. Retired again in 1989 and put on display
, with original USAF livery and serial, at Travis AFB (KSUU).