In 1947(!) this B-17 was put up as an eye-catcher at Art Lacey's Bomber Gas & Restaurant on SE McLoughlin Boulevard in Milwaukie, OR, on the west side of Route 99E. In this photo the faded name "Sky Chief" can still be seen on the nose, taken from Texaco's gasoline brand of the same name. The forward fuselage and the tail gun turret were removed for restoration in March 1996, but the rest of the aircraft remained on display at the restaurant until also removed in late 2014. The aircraft is now under restoration to flying condition in a hangar at McNary Field, Salem, OR. Photo from John Margolies Roadside America photograph archive (1972-2008), via Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
This C-47A was delivered to the USAAF in Feb 1944. Later struck of charge and transferred to the United States Air Force Museum in Apr 1961. It has been on display in Alaska ever since, initially on loan to the Alaska Air National Guard Museum at Kulis ANGB, and since the early 1980s to the Alaska Historical and Transportation Museum near Palmer, AK. In 1992 this museum changed its name to Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry (MATI) and moved to its current location at Wasilla Airport, taking this C-47 with them.