Of the 1,261 Crusaders built, 73 were modified to RF-8G reconnaissance models. This F-8 was delivered as an F8U-1P and spent it's first seven years with the Marines flying 400 combat hours in SE Asia. It was the last operational USN F-8 and the total of 7,475.2 flight hours is the most of any USN F-8. Now on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center.
The Globe Swift is considered to be one of the classic post-WWII US general aviation aircraft designs due to it's beauty and sporty flying characteristics. This example is on display at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center.
The 1A Gulfhawk is a one-off aeroplane comprising an amalgamation between the Curtiss Navy F6C-4 and the Army P-1 Hawk with a Wright Cyclone engine. The aircraft was primarily used to promote military aviation to the public during the inter-war years and is now on display at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center.
This is the second Do 335 A-0 built and is now a stunning exhibit at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian NASM. Allied forces found the Do-335 when they overran Oberpfaffenhofen airfield on 29th April 1945. After VE Day it was shipped to the USA aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper, along with other captured German aircraft and equipment for technology evaluation. Following USN testing from 1945-48 the Navy transferred the Pfeil (Arrow) to the museum's collection in 1961
The PA-18 Super Cub was a strengthened, modification of the original J-3 Cub. The Atomic Energy Commission operated this PA-18 in it's uranium exploration program carried out in the Western US during the 1950s. The AEC was the sole owner of N1872P during it's operational life but in Feb. 1961, after 1,487 hours of flight time, it was retired and is now on display at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center.
About 1,500 of various George models were produced. In combat over Taiwan, the Philippines, Okinawa, and the Japanese home islands, Shiden pilots acquitted themselves well but this excellent fighter appeared too late and in too few numbers to have any effect on Japan's fortunes in the air war. This example on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center is one of only four still extant and wears the colours and markings of the 343rd Kokutai based at Omura in 1945.
This helicopter entered Marine service in 1961 serving in units around the US until retirement in 1970 and storage at MASDC. It is on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center as YP-13, a significant aircraft assigned to HMM-163 'Ridge Runners'. This combat unit operated in the Da Nang area of Vietnam and became one of the most decorated Marine helicopter squadrons of that war.
This MiG-15bis is a Chinese Ji-2 modification acquired by the Smithsonian in 1985. Unfortunately, nothing is known about it's service history but it is now on display in the Cold War Aviation gallery of the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center
The 110 Special was a clipped-wing version of the 110 and made for a fast and maneuverable sport plane. 'Little Butch', named after it's bulldog-like appearance, is now on display at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center.
The Army Air Corps purchased six Stinson Voyagers from Vultee in 1941 for testing. The aircraft were adapted for purpose to become fundamentally a new design. The Army designated it first as the O-62 (observation) and then as the L-5 (liaison). This aircraft, on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center, was the first O-62/L-5 produced but, unfortunately, nothing is known of it's service life.