Touching down after a morning tootle about town at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's National Fly-in. This aircraft was built to an RAF order and became HG656. It was sent to New Zealand and became NZ527 with the RNZAF. After the war it was civilianised and became ZK-ALB and served with Mt Cook Airlines before being exported to Australia in 1971 to become VH-IAN, later VH-UTV.
The Winton Grasshopper was one of the first generation of ultralights designed in Australia in the late 1970s following promulgation of the original ANO 95.10. The designer, Col Winton, used composites to keep the empty weight under 100 kg. This is a more modern version with an enclosed cockpit (the original was open).
This aircraft was ordered in 1951 by the USAF, one of more than two thousand Texans rebuilt from earlier AT-6 and SNJ models. It was allocated a new cn and the serial 51-15202. It found its way to the Italian AF as MM53652, and was retired in 1979. In 1981 bought and shipped to the UK and stored until 1986 when shipped to Australia. Registration VH-ITN was reserved whilst a restoration project, but it was registered VH-YVI on 2 February 2001. It's first post-restoration flight was not until early 2011.
Maurice Rolfe's long-awaited D.H.89A Domine/Dragon Rapide VH-UXZ, Lady Penrhyn made its first post-restoration flight just two days before this photo, on 28 March 2014. The aircraft was built for the RAF in 1944 as a Domine, NR713. It was later civil registered as G-AJSL. The markings recall the original VH-UXZ of ANA, cn 6365, which crashed off Flinders Island in 1943.
Built by the Government Aircraft Factory for the RAAF and made its first flight at Avalon on 7 Sept 1955. Brought on RAAF charge a month later, on 7 Oct. Disposed of in 1980 to Chewing Gum Field Air Museum, Tallebudgera, Qld, for a decade before being stored at Luskintyre, NSW, 92-98. Acquired by David Lowy and transported to Bankstown for restoration to fly, arriving Oct 1998. Restoration abandoned due to hidden structural damage. To Temora Aviation Museum 2001 and on external display.
This Tri-Pacer was built in March 1956 and registered new as N4500A. It was completely rebuilt in 1989, but cancelled on 23 March 1990 and exported to Australia where it became VH-NLA on 4 September. It spent some time in the Melbourne area before moving to Alice Springs in 2001. In 2003 it moved back to Kyneton where it currently resides in the hands of my mate Gleeso.