This historic Auster was built for the RAF as Mk.II MZ105 in Dec 42 but was retained by British Taylorcraft for testing until converted to Mk.III standard in April 44. Shipped engineless to Australia in Jul-Sep 44 to become the RAAF's first Auster, A11-1, on 2 Oct 44 fitted with a local-production Gipsy Major. SOC 10 Mar 60 to Nth Qld Flying Club, Cairns, becoming VH-SNI 23 Sep 60. Various owners and periods of inactivity until 1967. Fully and beautifully restored, ff 22 Feb 02.
This aircraft was built for the RAF as NJ820 but transferred to the RAAF in 1944, becoming A11-33. It was civilianised in Aug 1949, becoming VH-BDM. Seen here at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally.
This Terrier belongs to the President of the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia and attended the Association's Auster Rally at a dry and dusty Wentworth. The last 'true' Auster, the Beagle Terrier was a civil conversion from the military Auster AOP.6. Only 45 Terrier 2s were built, 64 Terriers in all, so this is a fairly rare aircraft.
Looking due west down the 1830 m Runway 27. During the Second World War Mildura was a major fighter OTU and you can still make out the original third cross runway. In more recent times, Mildura was the base for Murray Valley Airlines, later Southern Australia Airlines.
The Aiglet Trainer is an aerobatic version of the Auster with shorter wings. This one came to Australia in June 1954, being the former G-AMOV. After spending 15 years mainly in outback Queensland, it was withdrawn from service in 1969. Following restoration it was re-registered on 14 March 1988. Based in Ballarat, it's seen here shutting down on arrival at the Antique Aeroplane Association's Auster Rally.
This 1948-model Voyager dropped in to the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally en route on the long trip from Perth to a new home in New South Wales.It was first registered in Australia on 28 November 1995. Note how the registration is cleverly shaped to resemble '108'!
Originally built as an Auster Mk V for the RAF, serial TW371. Shipped to Arkonam, India, then post-war to Iwakuni, Japan. Imported to Australia 1952 and civilianised as an Auster 5, registered VH-AZV. Withdrawn from use in 1972, however had not flown since 1967. Restored by Dave Friday and Ron Molloy and re-registered as VH-ATS on 16 October 2000. First post-restoraton flight 2007.
This Aiglet was originally registered as VH-KAW to the Australian Auster agents, Kingsford Smith Aviation Service, at Bankstown on 18 May 51. A month later it was sold to a private owner, and changed hands again a month after that. It was struck off the Register on 8 March 57 but re-registered as VH-WFA on 9 Aug that year to Wagga Air Taxi & Flying School. From 15 June 63 it was re-registered again as VH-WWG and passed through a succession of private owners.
The Aiglet Trainer is an aerobatic version of the Auster with shorter wings. This one came to Australia in June 1954, being the former G-AMOV. After spending 15 years mainly in outback Queensland, it was withdrawn from service in 1969. Following restoration it was re-registered on 14 March 1988. Based in Ballarat, it's seen here arriving at the Antique Aeroplane Association's Auster Rally.
'Dorothy May' at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally. Imported in 1953, this aircraft was somewhat unusual for an Aussie Auster in not being new - it was the former G-AIBL. It served for a time in the 1960s with the Illawarra Flying School in NSW. Based at Tyabb during the '90s, it is now resident in SA.
The Adventurer was basically a four-seat Autocrat developed for Australia and New Zealand, using war-surplus Australian-production Gipsy Majors. This one was manufactured in 1950 and shipped to Australia engineless where Kingsford Smith Aviation Service, Sydney, fitted the engine. It was first registered on 31 July 1951. It's seen here at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally.
It's pretty good when you can park a visiting Aerobat in the back yard, as my friends Colin and Jenny can! This 1970-model was first registered in Australia on 4 January 1972 and is currently based at Albury. It's the fourth aircraft to carry this rego, the others being a Skylane, a Skywagon and a Pawnee, not to mention a C-47 during the War that was allocated the radio callsign VHCDW.
This Archer was originally built as a J.2 Arrow and registered G-AIGW on 22 October 1946. Shipped to Australia in May 1947, it became VH-BDE. The Australian Auster agents Kingsford Smith Aviation Service converted this aircraft to J.4 Archer standard in April 1957 and re-registered it VH-KFB the following year. It was substantially damaged at Canberra in October 1958 and was laid up for some time. Following rebuild it became VH-CRR in September 1961.
This lovely Autocar was first registered in Australia, new, on 20 June 1955. In the 1960s it spent some time with the Keith Aero Club in South Australia. Today it's based at Mount Gambier and is seen here at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally.
The Register records this aircraft has having been first registered on 3 September 1959, however Eddie Coates has a photo (and memories) of it when it was based in Launceston, Tas, in the early 50s. In any case, it's now based in NSW and still looking very nice! Photographed here at the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia's Auster Rally.
This Chippie is ex RAF Rhodesian Air Training Group which means that it did not serve in the UK but was supplied new to Rhodesia with 69 others. However it appears never to have been assembled in Rhodesia as it was sold with nil hours flown via DH South Africa to Australia. One of the original three Chipmunks acquired by the Royal Victorian Aero Club and registered VH-RVZ in September 1954. Sold in 1965 and became VH-RTW.