The last of 661 Fairey-built Halifaxes makes its maiden flight at Ringway. Delivered on 17 October to 48 MU. Served at RAF Pershore and with the Middle East Air Force. Scrapped in early 1949. Obtained from Faireys over 50 years ago.
Fairey Aviation built 150 Halifax B.V's at their Errwood Park Works at Stockport. A newly completed example for the RAF has been loaded on a convoy of seven lorries and will depart for Manchester (Ringway) Airport when the lads and lassies of the day shift have gone home. Obtained from Fairey's sixty years ago.
Blackburn Aircraft-built Swordfish outside Faireys Hangars at Ringway immediately after it had been set on fire to train the firemen visible here. Sheer vandalism of an historic aircraft in a less enlightened age!
The sole FD.1 low speed test Delta winged aircraft has just been assembled in Fairey's experimental hangar at Manchester's Ringway Airport. It was tested down the rather short main 4200 ft Runway 06-24, but made its first flight at A&AEE Boscombe Down. Image obtained from Faireys.
Firefly TT.1 MB702 is making its first test flight after conversion by Faireys at Manchester from a Royal Navy FR.1 to TT.1 for Svensk Flygtjanst. It was then painted mustard yellow overall and delivered from Ringway to Sweden as SE-BYD on 19 November 1953.
The first production Hendon bomber powered by two RR Kestrel VI engines under assembly in Fairey's factory. The prototype K1695 is far right. K5085 first flew from Manchester Barton on 2 September 1936. 14 were built, serving 38 Squadron until replacement by Wellingtons in late 1938. Obtained from Fairey's over 50 years ago.
The fourth of six ultra-light Turbomeca Palouste-powered helicopters built by Fairey's on display on a lorry at the 1957 Paris Air Salon. It had been evaluated by the UK military as XJ936, but no orders resulted.
This Swordfish was built by Blackburn Aircraft at Sherburn-in-Elmet in July 1944. It had no service history and was acquired by Fairey Aviation. After several years storage at Ringway it was given to the airport fire service in August 1954 with the inevitable result that the historic aircraft was lost to posterity.
The prototype Fairey FD-2 using its "droop snoot" whilst landing after its display at the 1956 Farnborough air show. On March 10, 1956, this aircraft had broken the world's airspeed record at 1132 mph. Later converted to BAC-221 configuration with ogival wing planform for Concorde development work.
Shown just after its maiden flight from Ringway, WM761 is in undercoat with roughly stencilled serial but no national markings. Delivered to RNAS Anthorn on 27 January 1953, later serving 719 Squadron FAA at RNAS Eglinton. Retired in 1957.
The first production Fulmar N1854 was retained by Faireys for tests. Postwar it became a company hack aircraft frequently flying between the Hayes and Stockport factories wearing the silver and blue company colours. It is preserved in the FAA Museum.
Fairey Aviation's final assembly hangar at Ringway in early 1954 with Venom FB.1's and Vampire T.11's in view. Nearest is WR294 with c/n 12215 chalked on its nose. Beyond is c/n 12210 which became RAF WK493.
The sole FD-1 has just arrived from Fairey's Stockport factory on a trailer. The angled arrangement was to occupy less road width. VX350 made runs down Ringway's 4200 ft main runway in May 1950 before being taken to A&AEE at Boscombe Down for its first flight on 12 March 1951. Used for tests of the delta wing before being written off by an RAF pilot. Two other FD.1's were cancelled (VX357/364). From Fairey's many years ago.
The Spearfish was a large anti-submarine and naval bombing aircraft powered by a Bristol Centaurus piston engine. Only five were built before the programme was cancelled in favour of the upcoming turboprop Gannet. RN241 was the first of two completed at Fairey's Ringway facility. None of the type survives. From Faireys 60 years ago.