Delivered to the USAF as 55-4558 and converted to C-123J with Fairchild J44 booster engines on the wing tips, for operation in the arctics. To the CAA/FAA in May 1957 as N123, reregd to N98 in 1973. Withdrawn from use in 1983, and donated to the Alaska Historical and Transportation Museum near Palmer, AK in the mid 1980s. Officially registered as N3144W, but never painted as such. In 1992 the museum became the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry (MATI) and moved to its current location at Wasilla Airport, taking this C-123 with them. It still has its C-123J wing tip booster engines.
This former 144th TAS Provider was preserved just outside Kulis ANGB, surrounded by trees and with the beautiful Chugach Mountains in the background. It was dismantled and removed in 2011, its current whereabouts are unknown. This aircraft flew for the Alaska Department of the Interior in the 1970s, under civilian registration N4393E.
This Provider, ex USAF 56-4390, was on outdoor display at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum at Anchorage International Airport for many years. In 2004 it was bought by All West Freight, dismantled, and trucked up north to their private All West Airport. It was obviously still dismantled when this photo was taken, but everything was there (the wings are stored to the right). By late 2017 nothing had changed - the aircraft was still there, in the exact same dismantled condition.