More than 20 years in service with United, but still going strong! United had their Eights re-engined during the early 1980s, and continued to operate them well into the 1990s. Most were later sold to various operators and converted to freighter. That included N8081U, which became SE-DLM with Time Air Sweden in 1992, and N827BX with Burlington Air Express in 1993. It was sold for scrap in 2004.
N90267 is seen here being used as a spares source, possibly by Northern Pacific Transport. A sad end for former USAF Flying Boxcar 53-8154 and ex civil N4999P. It was completely scrapped by 1996, but the forward fuselage was saved. This initially went to Greybull, WY, then in 2006 it was moved to Henderson, NV, and finally in 2013 to the Palm Springs Air Museum in Palm Springs, CA.
This ex TWA and Piedmont aircraft served with PBA between 1975 and 1985. It is seen here while stored at PBA's home base, shortly before being ferried to Mississippi for continued storage, together with four other PBA Martin 404s. That's where it would finally meet its doom: it was broken up there in 2002.
Accelerating down runway 24, with British Midland DC-9 G-BMAM in the background. This Ilyushin 62 was delivered to CSA in 1985 and operated with them until late 1994. It later became RA-86935, then UN-86935 and finally UP-I6207 with Deta Air. It was withdrawn from use prior to 2013 and stored at Shymkent, and it was still there by 2016.
In a left turn just after take-off from Lake Hood's watery runway, with the Bush Pilots Air Service's logo on the tail. This Beaver started life with the USAF as 56-0388 way back in 1957, but has been used for bush flying in Alaska since 1975.
Delivered to Eastern in 1937, this aircraft had the highest flying time of all aircraft in the world at the moment this photo was taken, although later some old 747s surpassed it. It was withdrawn from commercial use in October 1988, by which time it accumulated an amazing total time of 91,402 hours, an absolute record for any pre-1970s aircraft. In 1993 it entered at long-term restoration project, and it is now preserved in Eastern's "The Great Silver Fleet" livery as NC18121.
In 2006, when this photo was taken, there were only very few flyable Curtiss Commandos left in the world, and this was one of them. Dumbo joined the Everts fleet in 1976, and despite being more than 70 years old (delivered to the USAAF in February 1945 as 43-47201), this former C-46R demonstrator still saw frequent use by 2016.
Old slide of somewhat disappointing quality, but interesting nevertheless. CP Air was a very frequent visitor at Amsterdam for many years. In 1981 they still operated their DC-8s into Schiphol, but they would soon change that to their similarly coloured DC-10's. CF-CPP "Empress of Alberta" is seen here in their striking orange colour scheme, shortly after touchdown on runway 19R.
Hemet Valley Flying Service was a pioneer in the field of aerial firefighting, having converted many aircraft types to airtankers. N13744 / 86 (ex USAF 49-199) was one of four Flying Boxcars this company operated out of their base in southern California. It was acquired by the Castle Air Museum in 1993, and placed on display at Castle AFB, CA. In the early 2000s it was painted in full USAF markings as 49-199.
During the mid 1980s several smaller operators were taken over by the Big Ones. Frontier Airlines was one of the victims, being absorbed by Continental, and their 737 N7363F is seen here carrying Continental titles. Hybrid colour schemes such as the one seen here were a frequent sight during that time. Continental continued to use this 737 until it was broken up in 1993.
In the early 1980s Aeroflot operated an An-12 freight service into Amsterdam, and CCCP-11107 is seen here after an early-morning touchdown on runway 06. Only three months later, on 24 April 1982, during the take-off from Novy Urengoi in western Siberia, this aircraft ran off the runway and was destroyed by fire.
El Teide, Tenerife's 3.7 km high volcano, towers above the landscape and catches a bit of sunshine, as these Russian holidaymakers taxi into position for take-off. This aircraft was transferred to the Russian government (Rossiya) a few years after this photo was taken. It was broken up at Vnukovo in 2012, when it was 25 years old.
Bare metal C-117D (ex US Navy BuNo 39070) shortly before being sold to the Colombian Air Force as FAC1632. While there, it remained current on the US Aircraft Register as N34AH, and in fact returned to the US as such in 2005. It was then based at Benson, AZ and was still there in late 2016. Unfortunately it seems to not have made even one single flight in all those eleven years...
In 1992 most C-82's and C-119's at Anchorage were sold to Hawkins and Powers and moved to their base at Greybull in Wyoming. A few C-119s stayed behind, but most of them later also departed to other airfields, such as Fairbanks or Palmer. This N9027K (ex 53-8073) was the only one to remain behind at Anchorage, and it was still there by mid 2017.
At the time of this photo Everts operated the largest fleet of Douglas DC-6s in the world, and ten years later they were the world's last commercial operator of the type. This former Sis-Q aircraft N555SQ (Tanker 45) was was originally delivered to United Airlines in June 1957 as N37585. Everts acquired it in 1994 and operated it for 18 years until withdrawn from use in 2012. It is now stored at Fairbanks, AK and used for spares to keep the rest of their fleet in the air.
This rare Packet (delivered to the USAF in 1948 as 45-57814) was used to haul cargo (mainly fish) all through Alaska. It flew with TWA from 1956 to 1972, and the remnants of their livery are still visible on the fin and fuselage. Also visible are very faded "Briles" titles, from its time with Briles Wing & Helicopter during the mid 1970s. In 1992 it was sold and flown to Greybull, WY, where it survived as the world's only flying Packet. In 2006 the Hagerstown Aviation Museum bought it, and the delivery flight to the museum on 15 October 2006 was the last ever flight of a Fairchild C-82 Packet worldwide.
A dull grey winter day, typical for Amsterdam, brought this very nice visitor, not typical for Amsterdam at all. Became CU-C1258 shortly after this photo was taken, then CU-C1419, then sold to Aerocom as ER-IBE in May 2002. It reportedly went to Angola as D2-FCO in 2006, where it was broken up at Luanda in Aug 2015.