The forerunner of all Douglas Commercials. The sole DC-1 was ordered by Howard Hughes for TWA and first flew on 1 July 1933. Here used by the airline for tests before delivery for commercial use on 15 September 1933. Bought by Hughes in 1936. Later to G-AFIF, EC-AGN and EC-AAE being damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Malaga with Iberia in December 1940. Note the slender slab-sided fuselage, original fin shape and spatted tailwheel. Obtained from Douglas over 50 years ago.
This photo was added on 15 September 2017, and has since been viewed 206 times.