The KA-225 was an improved version of Charles Kaman's first helicopter, the twin inter-meshing rotor KA-125 and first flew in 1949. Two were purchased by the US Navy and one by the US Coast Guard for testing. One was also evaluated by the US Air Force. 125477 became the first turbine powered helicopter in 1951 when the Lycoming piston engine was replaced by a Boeing YT-50 turboshaft engine. The helicopter was donated to the Smithsonian in 1957.
This photo was added on 19 April 2020, and has since been viewed 24 times.