The Army ordered the first O-58s in 1941 to test the use of light aircraft for liaison and observation missions in direct support of ground forces. Between 1941 and 1943, Aeronca Aircraft Corp. of Middletown, Ohio, built more than 1,400 of these aircraft for the Army, of which 875 were L-3Bs. During WWII, L-3s were used in artillery fire direction, courier service, front-line liaison and pilot training. This example is on display at the National Museum of the USAF.
This photo was added on 11 December 2018, and has since been viewed 36 times.