Really 45-49192 which had served with the Peruvian Air Force as 545 and later 119. Restored to flight as N47DD it crashed and was rebuilt using the parts of other aircraft for static display as part of the USAF Museum at Duxford
This P-47 was rescued from gate guardian duties at La Paz airport, Bolivia and shipped back to California for a complete rebuild and restoration, which was completed in 1981. Now on display in the Personal Courage wing of the Museum of Flight as 42-8205 'Big Stud' of Col. Robert Baseler's 325th FG 'checker tails'.
Delivered just before the end of WWII on June 27, 1945 as 45-49406, this Thunderbolt was placed in storage until March 1948. Allocated to several Air National Guard units until refurbished in 1953 and passed on to Brazil under the Mutual Defense Aid Program. With serial 4192, the P-47 flew with the Air Force until 1960 when it became a ground instructional airframe. Later used as a base display aircraft, it was sold to the USA in 1988. Bought by the Flying Heritage Collection in 1998 and painted as Seattle-born Colonel Ralph C. Jenkins' Tallahassee Lassie.
Built in 1945 in Evansville, Indiana and delivered to the USAAF as 45-49295. Under the terms of the Mutual Assstance Pact she was flown in 1951 to Yugoslavia and subsequently served with the Yugoslav AF as 13064. She never flew with the RAF but is displayed in South East Asia Command markings of No. 30 Sqdn, which operated Thunderbolts between July 1944 and June 1946, when it re-equipped with Tempests.
This Bubbletop 'Jug' was built at the Republic plant in Evansville, Indiana in the late 1940s and went on to serve with the Peruvian Air Force. It was acquired by the National Museum of the USAF in 1981, where it is on display painted as the P-47D-30 'Five by Five' flown by Col. Joseph Laughlin, commander of the 362nd FG, Ninth Air Force, in early 1945.
This Jug, as 44-89320, was one of the very last to roll off the Farmingdale production line and is now displayed inside at the USAF Armament Museum. She is painted in the colours of a 463 FS/507 FG aircraft 44-88129 whilst stationed at Shima Island near Okinawa in 1945.
This P-47 is in reality 42-23278 but painted as 'Fiery Ginger IV' flown by the highest scoring P-47 Paciific theatre ace and Medal of Honor recipient, Col. Neel Kearby. On 5th March 1944, whilst on a mission to Wewak a Ki-43 'Oscar' fighter pilot shot down 'Fiery Ginger IV' and Col. Kearby was killed. After the war, the wreckage of the aircraft lay undisturbed and forgotten until the 1990s, when the tailfin was recovered to make a poignant addition to this display at the National Museum of the USAF.
This aircraft was manufactured too late to see action in WWII but is painted as 'Tallahassie Lassie', a P-47 flown by Seattle-born Colonel Ralph C. Jenkins who led the 510th FS through Europe after D-Day. She now belongs to the Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field. Note the nose art is on the port side only.
This Jug was delivered in 1953 to the Brasilian AF as 4175. After being SOC in 1958 she was stored and put on static display until being transported to Rialto, CA and subsequently restored to flying condition between 1996-99. Now part of the Tennessee Museum of Aviation collection and painted as 'Hun Hunter XVI', flown by Gil O. Wymond of the 57th FG, 65th FS in WWII