DDA's second DC-3 making a low pass over runway 32 (now closed), at the end of its delivery flight from Malta, in the company of ill-fated sistership PH-DDA. It would not fly again for 12 years due to a very thorough restoration. When it did, on 7 May 1999, the Pyramid Airlines colours in this photo (ex SU-BFY) had been replaced by retro Martin's Air Charter colours. It was withdrawn from use in October 2012, and initially stored at Amsterdam-Schiphol. In September 2016 it was dismantled and transported by barge to the Aviodrome Museum at Lelystad.
Built for American Airlines but taken over the US military as a C-50 in World War II. After the war it was sold to Australian National Airways and fitted with Wright engines in common with the rest of the ANA fleet. It had been built with Wrights but Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps were installed in 1944. It passed to Ansett with the takeover of ANA and remained with the company until stored at Essendon airport in 1970. In 1972 it was ferried to Melbourne Tullamarine and repainted in Ansett's contemporary livery, then ferried to Moorabbin airport for display. It remains there.
Joined Australian National Airways in 1946, to Ansett-ANA when that airline was created in a merger and converted to a "Cargoliner" in 1960. Sold in Laos in 1968 as XW-TDM. It was shot down in May 1973.
Operated by Australian National Airways, its successors and subsidiaries from 1945 to 1972 when it was donated to a children's charity. After 13 years in a playground it became a McDonald's restaurant at Midland, Western Australia, then a museum and finally ended up at rural property at Myalup.
This extraordinary beast, used for mineral surveys world-wide, still going strong after 55 years. Flew as Dakota IV G-AMNV with various companies till going to Africa in 1965. Fitted with magnetometer tail and wingtip housings at Toronto in 1982 and converted to turbo by Basler ten years later
GLC's corporate aircraft from 1953, later joined by a Convair 580. Sold to Missionary Flights in 2.77 becoming N200MF but crashed at George Town - Exuma, Bahamas on 3.2.98 when one engine failed after the other on departure for Haiti
Formerly CAF 12965, RCAF 1000 and before that RAF KN655, this Dakota IV was sold to France in 1991 as F-GIAZ, quickly changed to F-GIDK. Now flies in an aluminium finish with USAAF insignia, registered F-AZOX
How it all began - in DHL's infancy, they specialised in carrying documents from the Hawaiian islands. Aircraft became N102DH in 9.83 and ended up derelict at Manila with Asean Air. It was still there as of late 2010 but eventually scrapped