A very nice DC-3 in a freshly painted Eastern Express outfit, but owned and operated by PBA. Sadly it would only fly in these colours for five months, until being put out of service in September 1988. This venerable aircraft is a real oldie, a pre-war DC-3 (delivered to Braniff in 1940) that never saw any military service. It was sold in 1991 and became N28AA.
This Stratofreighter, owned by Stratolift Inc, shows misleading identification marks. It is ex USAF 52-0883 (with some difficulty '0883' can be seen below the faded U.S. Air Force titles on the nose), but the tail clearly shows '0237'. This is because the original tail fin was damaged, and it was replaced with that of 53-0237 (cn 17019). The missing engine cowlings of engine #3 suggest that this aircraft was already withdrawn from use at the time. It was slowly reduced to scrap here during 1994-1996.
One of the few freighters that were not sold to Hawkins & Powers was this C-119G. Instead, this ex USAF 53-7836 was sold to Everts Air Fuel in 1995, and it was stored at Fairbanks, Alaska. By 2015 it was still there, in complete condition.
A split second before touch-down on runway 24. Very unusual for a large aircraft such as this to be landing on this runway... It is primarily a take-off runway, and normally only the smaller aircraft use it for landings. By 2001 this aircraft had been withdrawn from use, and surprisingly it was offered for sale as late as 2012, with a total time of only 4382 hours. By 2015 it still survived in storage at Osh, Kyrgyzstan.
One of six Martin 404's stored at PBA's base in Florida, soaking up the spring sunshine. A few months later this Martin was ferried to Mississippi, where it survives in poor condition, tucked away in a wooded area at Gulfport-Biloxi airport. It was still there in February 2017.
A regular visitor of Miami's international airport, taxiing to the cargo ramp under the hot Florida sun. During the late 1980s TAN operated two Electras into Miami, HR-TNL and this one. TNL was lost when it crashed into a mountain in March 1990, but TNT soldiered on (later as HR-SHN of SAHSA). In April 1997 it was sold to Conair in Canada as C-FZCS and was converted to water bomber. By 2017 it still served in that role in Canada with Air Spray, fighting forest fires as Tanker 87.
In September 1988 no less than fourteen NAMC YS-11's were stored at Honolulu. They were all owned by Mid Pacific Air, although only eleven actually carried their titles. This N103MP, named "Melanie Valencia", was one of them. This aircraft was sold to Mexico as XA-RQU in 1989, and withdrawn from use two years later. It ended up in storage at Durango, and had almost certainly been scrapped by 2010.
Conair's Tanker 44 was originally delivered as a Convair 340 to United Air Lines in 1954 as N73153. It would keep that registration with various operators for more than 40 years, until it was purchased by Kelowna Flightcraft in 1999 for conversion to airtanker, and registered C-GEVC, then C-FFKF. It came to Alaska today to battle the Parks Highway Fire and is seen here in the evening light, arriving at Fairbanks to satisfy the customs people.
This is one of only two C-5Cs to have ever existed, modified to transport complete rocket and space station components. For this, the troop compartment was removed and the aft cargo door was enlarged. It was later converted to C-5M. This 60th AMW aircraft from Travis AFB presents a nice view of its impressive undercarriage, as it climbs out of Los Angeles' southern-most runway. A four-wheel nose gear and four six-wheel main bogies enable the C-5 to operate from semi-prepared airfields.
More than 20 years in service with United, but still going strong! United had their Eights re-engined during the early 1980s, and continued to operate them well into the 1990s. Most were later sold to various operators and converted to freighter. That included N8081U, which became SE-DLM with Time Air Sweden in 1992, and N827BX with Burlington Air Express in 1993. It was sold for scrap in 2004.
N90267 is seen here being used as a spares source, possibly by Northern Pacific Transport. A sad end for former USAF Flying Boxcar 53-8154 and ex civil N4999P. It was completely scrapped by 1996, but the forward fuselage was saved. This initially went to Greybull, WY, then in 2006 it was moved to Henderson, NV, and finally in 2013 to the Palm Springs Air Museum in Palm Springs, CA.
This ex TWA and Piedmont aircraft served with PBA between 1975 and 1985. It is seen here while stored at PBA's home base, shortly before being ferried to Mississippi for continued storage, together with four other PBA Martin 404s. That's where it would finally meet its doom: it was broken up there in 2002.
Accelerating down runway 24, with British Midland DC-9 G-BMAM in the background. This Ilyushin 62 was delivered to CSA in 1985 and operated with them until late 1994. It later became RA-86935, then UN-86935 and finally UP-I6207 with Deta Air. It was withdrawn from use prior to 2013 and stored at Shymkent, and it was still there by 2016.
In a left turn just after take-off from Lake Hood's watery runway, with the Bush Pilots Air Service's logo on the tail. This Beaver started life with the USAF as 56-0388 way back in 1957, but has been used for bush flying in Alaska since 1975.
Delivered to Eastern in 1937, this aircraft had the highest flying time of all aircraft in the world at the moment this photo was taken, although later some old 747s surpassed it. It was withdrawn from commercial use in October 1988, by which time it accumulated an amazing total time of 91,402 hours, an absolute record for any pre-1970s aircraft. In 1993 it entered at long-term restoration project, and it is now preserved in Eastern's "The Great Silver Fleet" livery as NC18121.
In 2006, when this photo was taken, there were only very few flyable Curtiss Commandos left in the world, and this was one of them. Dumbo joined the Everts fleet in 1976, and despite being more than 70 years old (delivered to the USAAF in February 1945 as 43-47201), this former C-46R demonstrator still saw frequent use by 2016.
Old slide of somewhat disappointing quality, but interesting nevertheless. CP Air was a very frequent visitor at Amsterdam for many years. In 1981 they still operated their DC-8s into Schiphol, but they would soon change that to their similarly coloured DC-10's. CF-CPP "Empress of Alberta" is seen here in their striking orange colour scheme, shortly after touchdown on runway 19R.
Hemet Valley Flying Service was a pioneer in the field of aerial firefighting, having converted many aircraft types to airtankers. N13744 / 86 (ex USAF 49-199) was one of four Flying Boxcars this company operated out of their base in southern California. It was acquired by the Castle Air Museum in 1993, and placed on display at Castle AFB, CA. In the early 2000s it was painted in full USAF markings as 49-199.
During the mid 1980s several smaller operators were taken over by the Big Ones. Frontier Airlines was one of the victims, being absorbed by Continental, and their 737 N7363F is seen here carrying Continental titles. Hybrid colour schemes such as the one seen here were a frequent sight during that time. Continental continued to use this 737 until it was broken up in 1993.